Friday, October 7, 2022

Stretching Fabric for Painting

Update: This didn't work. I think the color needed to be pressed into the fibers/fabric better. I will still stretch the fabric but will reverse the front/back so the fabric can lay on a firm surface to apply the color.  

Other possibilities:

1. Gel was not washed out completely

2. I used a rubber-type hot pad that had many little fingers, and scrubbed to get all the gel

 out. It may have been too much scrubbing.

__________________________________________________________________


I use adjustable stretcher bars, but can't recall where I got them. I've had them for years.

Starting with a 10" x 10" square of Kona "snow" fabric, that has the main lines of the image traced to the fabric. Some areas have been traced with the outline pencil that came with my set, and other areas are traced with the Inktense color I will use, where I don't want a black outline.




Front of stretched fabric










A large piece of cloth is intended for stapling to the bars, to protect the background of the piece, with a window cut away. Before attaching my stretcher cloth to the bars, I stitch the project fabric to the cloth on the machine using the longest and widest zig-zag stitch my machine will handle.


Back Side

No comments: