Sunday, October 9, 2022

Bruno in A Beaker

 What works . . . 













Orignal drawing and tracing to yellow tracing paper for transferring to the fabric. The cup in the original drawing was from a shiny cup in my collection. It would not show a good value study because it was too shiny and reflective. I chose another cup, as seen in the tracing.


Photo reference for the cup.













The sketch on the fabric using Inktense outliner. It washes away mostly. . . but not completely. Test it on your fabric before putting it down where you will want it gone.


First 'finish'  before washing out the gel.









After washing out the gel, perhaps not as gently as necessary. I wanted a good "test."












I didn't start from scratch, but really scrubbed, again, with a poly hot pad, or dishwashing scrubber (it came as a freebie with an order for the kitchen, not sure what it is.)











I re-did the coloring with the Inktense pencils, allowed it to sit overnight, and applied gel. It sat to dry overnight.

I applied white highlights in the eyes with acrylic fabric paint and added black toenails.

The cloth was removed from the frame when the paint was dry.

Following instructions on the acrylic paint box, I pressed it with my dry flat iron (no steam holes) on a polyester setting, for 3 minutes, moved the iron to cover the remainder of the image, and heat set for another 3 minutes. Instructions were to heat set for 3 to 5 minutes, so I felt safe. The number setting on my iron was a '2.' Instructions said to use 212° f, but I can't figure out how to measure the temperature of my iron.

After the fabric cooled, I put it in a tub with wool yarn shampoo - only because I felt it would be gentler than an alkaline detergent. Cotton would ordinarily call for synthrapol or hand-washing dish soap for washing. 

Why? Wool Wash for animal fiber, and an alkaline detergent for vegetable fibers. It's a science thing. 

It soaked with a few gentle swishes for at least 15 minutes, was rinsed, and hung outdoors under the canopy in the breeze. I put some clips on the lower edge to add a little weight. 

Before I added clips on the bottom, I noticed the breeze had folded it up on itself.


Even at a distance, you can see the color remains brilliant. I am satisfied with an acceptable first piece. It will be finished as a 'mug rug' for Bruno's Mom, who lives in the Philippines.

No comments: