Monday, December 30, 2019

To Illustrate the Construction Process of a Quilt

The first post of this quilt is in "Older Posts" below.

You have designed a quilt and made a worksheet.
 Now you want to illustrate how you constructed your quilt.

You can take an image that is drawn and colored on graph paper,
         copy it several times to have images to cut apart
         and paste down to a new piece of paper - or

You can save your image as a metafile (.EMF or .WMF), and
do it digitally.

I use Windows 10, thus save as .EMF - Mac users will save as WMF - 
                       I believe, correct me if I'm wrong. 
I work in Adobe Illustrator/Photoshop, but it can be with most photo editing
software, thus I will use the language of that program:


            visual-integrity.com provided me with instructions.

Select the image; right click; save as; and choose the file format
you will work in.

Once your image can be edited (i.e. bits are broken apart and
can be moved around, copied and pasted) you will open it in
your photo editing software.

I place the image on one artboard, then open another artboard
to hold the bits. When I have some of the bits put together,
(showing the construction of bits that will be joined and
made more than once) I can select those bits and "group"
them together, so they can be used as a single unit.

An image being edited. The grey units represent white in the quilt.
The background being white, I needed a contrasting color so it
would show up. The yellow square indicates a unit that has
been moved, for illustration purposes only.

The two parts of a half square triangle have not yet
been joined up, but have been moved to the
new page. The Corner Unit and Star unit
have been joined and grouped.


The Red Border indicates a unit of 3 that can be cut as 1,
saving time and fabric.

Now that you know just a little of all the work that goes into 
creating a pattern, you really won't mind spending all that money on 
a pattern someone has published, will you?

No comments: