Monday, May 9, 2022

Knitting Charts for the Rest of Us

 I have a 'different' way to chart patterns. 

That means whenever I want to knit a pattern I must re-chart it so I can understand it. 

The PROCESS of re-charting helps me to understand the pattern better.

I need to understand because my brain doesn't work like a 'normal person.'

I am using Winter Chill Shawl pattern by Staci Perry, with her permission. The pattern is on Ravelry and is also available on her website: https://verypink.com/. Staci is my 'go-to' knitting YouTuber. This pattern is my favorite for playing with patterns and learning the skills I have needed to master.

Here is how her chart for the section Zigzag B is presented in publication:

This is my version of the same chart. Nothing has been changed. The only difference is I give myself more information..


Another version shows which rows are worked in a pattern repeat (abbreviated PatRep in my knitting language.) This is what I use after learning all I can about the pattern.


The question isn't IF I make a mistake, but WHEN! This is my solution for checking stitch count. It is easier than it looks.


If I need further help, I may use my computer to make this:   If you have 'artificial intelligence' as a tool, use it.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The main difference is my charts are color-coded, so I can readily see the difference between 'knit' and 'purl' or 'RS: right side' and 'WS: wrong side'.

Usually knit is pink and purl is green. Just because I like those colors and they are opposite on the color wheel.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FACTS:

  1. If a single stitch is created by combining two or more stitches, I use two or more chart squares within a single thicker border.
  2. An 'allover' repetitive pattern is charted as a square or rectangle.
  3. A pattern that has a center and two sides can be square or have rows of a different number of stitches.The right-of-center will be to the right of the center on the chart, and the left-of-center will be to the left and will be a mirror image of the pattern that is right-of-center.
  4. Patterns will have a multiple of X number of stitches or a multiple of X plus Y number of stitches for balance.
  5. A pattern that has a different number of stitches from one row to another may have grey squares indicating there is no stitch in that spot to allow for charting consistency.
  6. Diagonal allover patterns will have a 'half drop repeat.'*

    Otherwise, standard charting practices are followed, as much as possible.

*Half Drop Pattern Repeats in Knitting patterns are discussed  here. By Natalie in Stitches, the article is titled: Knitting Design 101: Drop Repeats and Surface Pattern Design.

Click on the colored text to open the article on a new page.

Tomorrow's topic: Tools and materials in my studio.

PLEASE leave comments if you have any other tips or questions. It is a process! I need your feedback.

No comments: