Wednesday, May 11, 2022

About Markers . . .

 

A marker can be made with many things, provided it slides easily on the needle and is a size that does not slip under a yarn-over. When I place a lifeline in my knitting, I don't put the thread through the markers because the markers will move with my knitting and the lifeline stays on the row for a time.

 

Markers I like include:

 

Plain individual rings

Linked Markers are connected with a chain

Lettered or numbered markers have ‘number’ or ‘letter’ beads attached

Markers with charms or 'dangle' attached

Markers with colored beads glued to cover a jump ring 'join' and work with a color code system

 

To keep a linked marker, or one with dangles, out of the way of the working yarn, keep the marker to the front of your knitting in a knit row, and to the back of the knitting in a purl row. Move it as necessary when you have both knit and purl stitches in a row.

 

Back in the day, I made markers that spell out 'right' and 'left', but I no longer use them.


If you've never seen linked markers, you may still have heard the term. Linked markers are a feature of the app Knit Companion. I made linked markers because I needed a way to see both the old and the new position of my marker, and I wanted a way to determine the RS (right side) and WS (wrong side) at a glance.


This is what I came up with:

The bead covers the join

in the jump ring, with Superglue™


















Here is a set at work



















An unexpected benefit was that if I place one marker before removing the other, there is less chance of losing the marker through the planks of my porch floor. The floor has a window screen underneath, so I can't even retrieve something without a hassle.


I still have to hold a marker before placing it, unless I slip a stitch, place the marker, then slip the stitch back to work.


I use 7 mm and 10 mm jump rings, size 6 seed beads, and a chain that is sold as a 'chain extender."


We had a scare with the PC. Rushed it to the I.T. doctor, and brought it home the same day! I was in despair that I wouldn't keep my promise of having a post today. Keeping a promise is important to me.

No comments: