Saturday, June 19, 2021

What if...

 A knitting Pattern has a longer repeat

than you can memorize...

If you don't wish to re-write the pattern,

you can break it down into patterns within the pattern.


For example:

 Yes, it is often printed that small with no spacing, 

in abbreviations!

That is 40 stitches! If I counted right.


Anything more than a local phone number is beyond me.

It  becomes:

knit, purl, knit

central-double-decrease

yarn over, purl 2 together, yarn over...


I solved my problem by printing out that pattern page.

I cut out one line, or even half of a line, using a craft knife.

Then I cut out my hole-in-the-paper with a generous margin all around.

I glue the paper to heavy paper with rubber cement, 

cut out the hole and trim the edges.

Or I may cut out “L” shapes, so  my frame is adjustable.

The frame is attached to my pattern with bulldog clips, magnets, or whatever is handy and works.


I’m happy to see so many gaining experience in the field.

I’m unhappy they have so little experience in the field.


To be safe, learn from a professional, or 2 or 3 professionals.

Just as you wouldn’t choose a map prepared by the novice mapmaker. 

Remember those cheap GPS devices? Don't ask.

An inexperienced map designer may not know the terrain well enough. 

For instance, they may not realize that 

the bridge ahead is a toll bridge, 

and the toll road is barricaded, 

only open 3 months of the year.

Or that the bridge may have washed out 

during last night’s rain. 

That’s how places like No Name, Colorado come into being.

Don’t let the locals try to tell you it comes from the NoName Native Americans. 

That tribe doesn't exist.

(pronounced: Noe Nahmee).


Currently, I am learning from Laura Nelkins at http://www.nelkindesigns.com.

Her patterns range from the very beginner to intricate lacemaker. 

Some of the more complex patterns have many options – to add beads, or not. 

How many beads to add and where? 

Along with some variety in sizing. 

She has “knit-alongs” and clubs. One club is for those with deep pockets, 

another for those of us on a budget. 

She uses pattern testers and publishes nothing until it is perfect.


 As usual, the pattern I have used is not a real pattern.

Happy Knitting!




No comments: