Sunday, July 7, 2019

I've heard of blocking knits,

 but why block woven linen?



I wanted my linen fabric stretched before cutting. 


I cut a piece of brown packing paper as wide as my fabric,
and as long as the amount I needed to cut on the bias.
This is my template. The corners are no longer 
90° - but are 75° in the acute angle.

I covered it with contact paper to protect it from moisture.

I used 5.3 oz. 46/37 tpi linen - which is 
a medium weight, not tightly woven cloth.

The linen was wetted with a spray water bottle, 
and laid on my template.
I smoothed with the palms of my hands
til the fabric lay along the template edges.

Wet linen relaxes and expands; as it dries
it contracts, so pinning is not recommended,
unless you only pin one side of the cut edge
and one side of the selvedge.


No comments: