Sunday, February 26, 2017

Diamond Hill, by Esther Aliu


Part One of Esther Aliu's 2017 Free Block of the Month: Diamond Hill. This is so fun to do. To transfer the pattern to the dark background fabric, I used the "Pierce Paper and Pounce" method.
First I traced the pattern to freezer paper. Then, starting with stems and the vase, I pierced the paper with a needle point tracing wheel. I cut 3 holes in the pattern in the background area to make registration points on the fabric, to be able to subsequently line up the pattern multiple times. Using a chalk pounce pad, I pounced the pattern, forcing the chalk through the holes.

When preparing the applique pieces - I used double thickness of freezer paper for templates, and medium to heavy starch on the edges before turning them under with the iron. For sharp inside corners, I found that Fray Check works to prevent stray threads. I have ordered the Floriani Stitch and Wash Stabilizer, but couldn't wait for it to arrive to get started. Two of the fabrics for the leaves were from fabric samples from the 1980s that survived through the years and provide a memorable reminder of days gone by.

No comments: