Thursday, January 25, 2018

South By Southwest

Quilt in Progress for Joseph


When my youngest daughter Kristina was killed, I was devastated.
 Kris loved my decor of the southwest, where I grew up on a desert ranch.
 Some of the items I had given her survived
 the house fire that took her life the
 same month her only son Joseph turned 21.

For Joseph's birthday in 2018, I plan to gift him the quilt
South By Southwest.

Eager to start the quilt before the pattern arrived, I thought I had the
pattern figured out. But months later, when I tried to finish
using the pattern - nothing worked! Although similar,
my quilt and the pattern were critically different.
 I would sew for a day and
 rip for two days. 


To the rescue! It is FREE block drawing software, designed
 not to replace The Electric Quilt, but
to provide a CAD for specific drawing tasks.
 It has proven easy to learn, and use
to create and print my own personal pattern.

Color Plan #1

To create the interesting corner treatment, I made two color plans -
 with a difference only in contrasting corner colors.
 Otherwise, the coloration is only a guide for
a scrappy look made with 2.5" strips on
 a cream background yardage.

One fourth of the block is created 4 times,
 and joined to make a 20" block set on point.
The direction of the angled cuts are important.
 I hate wasting fabriccutting pieces that won't work.
 So I labeled the pieces:

NE and NW refer to the angle of the cut
If you  think of a compass,
 the NW angle points to the West, and the
NE angle 
points to the east. 

The number inside each unit indicates the finished size of the
 longest edge of the unit.
(After mindlessly cutting some "F-NE" units -
 I realized I couldn't use them
and still follow my plan. It's OK,
they will work in the side triangles.)

A note about cutting:  

For 40+ years, I have used the rotary cutter and acrylic rulers in specialized 
shapes and sizes. Lately, I decided my results were way too inaccurate,
whether due to my advancing age, or loss of skill for relying on
oversized and trimmed blocks!

While doing Jinny Beyer's 2017 Mystery quilt, I decided to use her method of 
making templates and marking them as if for hand sewing - 
except I would sew
by machine.
 Then I saw in a Quilt Show video that Sally Collins
does much the same, but takes it further, and cuts with the tiny 
rotary cutter, being oh so careful not to cut her template.
 It works!! 
And doesn't take any more time than all that silly trimming. 
It is done correctly the first time. The method also has the 
advantage of using my wide presser foot for better control of the seam.
Instead of sewing by a scant quarter inch seam allowance, my sewing
 guides are the dots transferred from the templates.  
So nice!


No comments: