Wednesday, June 7, 2017

Creating a Legacy

Rachel Remembered...

 




A legacy quilt is a collection of blocks that are special to the maker...milestones or significant elements in a life. It is a way of saying: This has meaning for me.

When I started my legacy quilt, it was just an abstract idea. Then, surfing the web, I ran across the fabric collection called Rachel Remembered by Moda's Beth Gutcheon. It was a "WOW" moment.
The Rachel in the collection was Rachel Jackson, wife of Andrew Jackson. My Rachel was my 3rd daughter, born and died on June 23, 1970.  You try to make something beautiful out of everything. But while I remember Rachel, I want her remembered in a lasting way.

The fabric arrived, blocks appeared: The large block pictured above was made in the 1980's, using a border print. The colors worked. The date palm symbolizes the dates we grew on the ranch. The unfinished block, called "A Light Unto My Path." It's an adapted design.

No comments: