Tuesday, April 25, 2017

Absolutely Amazing Applique





Two blocks that combine applique with piecing. The one on the left uses hand applique for the purple cross in the center, while the one on the left is raw edge fused applique, using an old half block of Mariner's Compass in the UFO Box. When I was writing a weekly newspaper column - the Eye of the Needle - I was doing something new every week, for the column. I ended up with a lot of orphan blocks.





Applique quilts have been around perhaps longer than, or as long as pieced quilts.

The two techniques combined have endless possibilities for creative design. Lately I've seen many outstanding quilts that use both methods of joining fabric to fabric. Jinny Beyer is one of the grand masters of combining piecing and applique to create beautiful quilts.

The top block is one of my works-in-progress, from Esther Aliu, the pattern Diamond Hill. The quilt top in progress below is from Patty Harant, another special applique designer. Patty still sells her patterns - she can be found on Facebook, and in several FB groups. She lives in, and is a member of a guild in the Memphis area.



An applique/quilting favorite celebrity of mine is Ami Simms.
Her outstanding piece entitled St. Basils Cathedral is well worth the visit to her site.
A thoroughly delightful person, she was also chosen teacher of the year for 2005.  

There is so much one can create by combining piecing, applique and hand embroidery.

Tips for Hand Applique

I like to use quilting betweens to stitch my hand applique - but whatever your preference, choose a good quality needle with a round eye. 

The thread I use is 100% cotton Presencia 60/3. It is a fine, but strong thread that I also use for machine piecing. Otherwise I will use Silk Tré. or kimono silk. The silk will last longer than cotton thread, and is appreciably more costly.

Pins: I pin from the back side, so that the ends of the pin don't tangle in my thread. I like the superfine Swiss pins. I have heard of people using very short, or otherwise special pins, but I have good luck with the Swiss pins for most everything.

FOUNDATION!  A piece of 100% cotton voile is an excellent choice for gluing the prepared applique pieces in preparation for stitching to the background. (See illustration below).  

To Knot or NOT KNOT:  I never knot my hand sewing thread, except perhaps for quilting where the knot will be buried in the batting. I take 3 tiny stitches in an area that will be covered with another fabric to start, and do the same to finish. In my humble opinion, knots become bumps that with friction of use and washing can wear away. If the knot is gone the stitching starts to come out. With 3 tiny stitches to hold the beginning and the end - there is less chance of that happening.

I use a hoop to hand applique. It keeps the back of the fabric free of any ends turned under, while maintaining the grain of the background fabric. The outer hoop is fastened loosely enough to allow for a scoop stitch.

When using the freezer paper/starch method to turn the edges, I keep a sheet of wax paper handy. A quick run over the wax paper with the iron keeps it from sticking to the starch as it dries. For tiny, sharp angles, the wax paper makes things so much easier.

Speaking of irons, I clean my sole plate with the Mr. Clean "Magic Sponge Eraser." It is important to prevent getting water inside the iron, so a slightly damp sponge does the trick. 

    
Back side of an applique fastened to a piece of voile
                                     




 

No comments: