Friday, February 10, 2017

Experiment With Value

I think I will start collecting black and white fabric for the fabric stash. I want to experiment with value, using Blackwork Embroidery concepts - to see if light center, dark surround is best - or the reverse. Testing med vs dk vs lt, using classic quilt blocks. May move on to stripes. I suppose the fabric doesn't have to be black and white, so long as it is only 2 color. Fabric selection may be limited otherwise.




Hetsie Van Wyk is one of the foremost fiber artists. Her book "Embroider Now" is a favorite reference. Pictured is an illustration of one of her blackwork pieces - a tray cloth. I post it here in hopes of illustrating a pictorial definition of "Blackwork." The book is out of print but is available from Amazon at a very reasonable price.

Some armchair sewing - the Lemoyne Star pattern. I had red fabric - didn't have black and white. I wonder if this concept is where "Redwork" came from?

No comments: